Green Bean Casserole is a timeless classic on the Thanksgiving table, but in our recipe, we throw out that nasty can of mushroom soup and processed crispy onions with our homemade creamy sauce and crispy onions that will be a great way impress your family on Turkey Day or any other day of the year!
3 medium onions thinly sliced
About 2 cup of canola oil
¼ cup panko
Green Beans and Sauce
1 ½ lbs. trimmed green beans
2 tbs butter
2tbs canola oil
4 tbs of flour
16 oz baby portabella mushrooms sliced thin
3 garlic cloves minced
1 ½ tbs minced fresh thyme
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
- The first step is to preheat your Wolf Convection Steam Oven on the Steam Mode at 210F.
- Next take the thinly sliced onions and place in a medium sized pot and cover with canola oil on medium heat on your Wolf cooktop. Make sure to leave a few inches of space so oil will not boil over. Leave onions in till crispy and brown about 10-14 mins. Make sure to start onions in cool oil. Trust us on this one! Once onions are golden brown using a fine metal mesh strainer or spider strain crispy onions and place onto a paper towel lined plate to remove any excess oil.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the beans. Place trimmed green beans on a perforated Steam Oven pan and steam in Wolf Convection Steam Oven for 8 minutes. Remove green beans from oven and place beans into an ice bath which will stop the cooking process and help beans retain their beautiful green color.
- Once beans are blanched change the mode of the Convection Steam Oven to Convection Humid mode at 375F.
- While the oven is pre-heating it’s time to make our sauce. Melt butter and canola oil in a shallow pot on medium high heat and add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Next sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir till combined. Cook for an additional minute. Add the broth and whisk till thickened. Next lower the heat to medium-low and add heavy cream. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add all the green beans and toss till combined. Place green bean mixture in a large casserole dish that has been sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Top with the crispy onions, panko, and parmesan cheese. Place into the oven and bake until sauce bubbles and panko topping are browned about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!