Whether you choose to soak up New England at it’s most beautiful—in Autumn—with an escape to town or country, these key wardrobe workhorses and little luxuries will keep you in stylish weekend comfort this fall.
1. The hipster beanie gets a chic makeover in snowy white ribbed cashmere. Scrunch it into your jacket pocket and you are ready for fall’s ever-varying temperatures
2. If your closet doesn’t include a French “marinière,” or blue striped pullover, you don’t know what you’re missing. When we say this wardrobe staple goes with everything, we mean EVERYTHING. Go with one of the original brands, like Saint James, which make the tee in a heavy weight cotton that makes it extra cozy and a great transitional layering piece
3. What would New England be without plaid? A classic menswear style scarf in plaid merino from Pendleton is just the ticket for brisk weekend walks in country woods and city parks alike
4. A Barbour jacket is so timeless and well made that you’ll only buy one once. In fact, Barbour is so committed to the enduring quality of their craftsmanship, and the idea that each piece should last a lifetime, that they even have a repair and reproofing service! Pro tip: the thick oilcloth exterior makes for impeccable, snag-proof, rose pruning protection. Leave it to the English!
5. A little Chanel lipstick or nail polish in classic red is a tiny luxury that is easy on the budget, yet big on glam. Shown here in Rouge Essentiel; 6. Couple that elated heading-to-the-country-for-the-weekend feeling with a stylish, solid brass key ring befitting of your vacation home.
7. A grab-and-go L.L. Bean tote bag is an essential part of the Friday afternoon pack-the-car scramble. This one zips shut, so you can really chuck your stuff in the trunk and get out of town!
8. The only downside to “dipping your toes” into a pair of Blundstones is the possibility that your feet will never settle for anything less comfortable again. These slip-on, Chelsea style booties have a rubber sole that makes tramping through a subway commute a cinch, and also provides enough support and protection for weekend walks, garden projects, and fall weather.